Aug 10, 2015

Nuvo's Dan Grossman does a flyby of J.T. Whitehead's booklaunch on August 6.

I wanted a cup of black coffee after all that sweetness, and I found it - at the refreshment table - just south of that venue at the Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library (KVML) where J.T. Whitehead was giving a reading from his book The Table of the Elements published by Broadkill River Books and nominated for the National Book Award. (J.T.'s wife Julia just so happens to be the Executive Director of KVML) J.T.'s also an attorney, and in his poetry I've always found a flair for language, street smarts, a deep knowledge of history and literature (particularly Beat literature), so I didn't want to miss his reading but, as he's reading his poems in the other room, I'm typing these words into my Internet connected laptop, sharing a table with Kurt Vonnegut's favorite electric typewriter... I should say that I've known J.T. for 20 odd years and we've had poems published together in the local lit mag pLopLop. Here's a (shorter) poem of his:
Oxygen

O
O
O
O
Why life itself
is almost her moan -
More

More

O
J.T. Whitehead signing his book at KVML

Blog editor's note: J.T. Whitehead will be reading from his book of poems at Poetry on Brick Street, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 3, at SullivanMunce Cultural Center, 225 W. Hawthorne St., Zionsville.

No comments:

Post a Comment